Are you planning a review or audit of your collections? Looking to re-home duplicates or reorganise spaces? This session will explore the process of reviewing, rationalising and disposing of museum collections – from theory to reality.
It includes a hands-on exercise in which participants get to review a range of rationalisation candidates and decide which should be retained and which disposed of.
By the end of the course, participants will:
- learn about the issues surrounding the disposal of museum collections and understand the reasons why it is a carefully controlled process, including ethical considerations
- understand the rationalisation and disposal process and how it works in practice
- feel confident in considering alternatives to rationalisation
- develop an understanding of the practical issues faced when rationalising collections
- understand the benefits of implementing rationalisation of collections as part of a wider collections review.
This event is suitable for all staff and volunteers involved in the planning or delivery of collections review and rationalisation projects.
It is particularly suited to museums interested in applying for a SHARE Collections Review Grant, a grants scheme which will launch in April 2019. By attending this course, you will be better equipped to apply for a grant for your review or rationalisation project.
Terms & Conditions:
Full details of our programmes conditions can be found on our website.
By booking a place on to SHARE Museums East Training Programme, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- That you are from an East of England museum or heritage organisation which is in the Arts Council England’s Accreditation Scheme. Where this is not applicable you acknowledge that so that we can aim to facilitate your attendance if we can. (This may involve a fee).
- It is a condition of receiving this ACE funded training that the online evaluation sent to the email address provided at the point of booking is completed by the specified deadline. This deadline is in the email notification unless a paper evaluation is specifically requested and submitted on the day of the training session.
- By booking a place you agree that you are booking as a representative of your organisation and should you cancel your booking without sufficient notice your organisation is responsible for paying the late cancellation fee of £50.