This session will look at the recruitment of volunteers, what their roles will be and what skills the museum needs. We will also discuss how to find new volunteers and the first 6 months of working with them.
Topics will include:
- Identifying the role/need for the volunteer
- Writing and using a role profile
- Advertising the role
- The interview
- The induction
- The review – are they going to stay with you?
This session will be led by Linda Brandish, Volunteering Adviser. Linda has been working with the voluntary sector for 17 years and has worked with SHARE on previous volunteer-focused training opportunities. Her approach is very much as a discussion facilitator and she encourages participants to bring their own examples and ideas to the sessions.
Some feedback from participants at Linda’s previous sessions for SHARE:
“Really calm trainer! Very well managed discussions as she realised people had different levels of confidence to get involved”
“Trainer did a great job with a room full of people with widely differing roles”
If you have any specific topics you would like to cover then please email Linda Brandish in advance of the session.
Refreshments will be provided on arrival but please bring your own lunch. There are cafes at the museum or in Newmarket High Street if you prefer. Please arrive from 10.15am for a 10.30am start.
Please see our FAQs for any questions relating to our training programme
Terms & Conditions:
For full details of our programmes conditions, see our Terms & Conditions on our website.
By booking a place on to SHARE Museums East Training Programme, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- That you are from an East of England museum or heritage organisation which is in the Arts Council England’s Accreditation Scheme. Where this is not applicable you acknowledge that so that we can aim to facilitate your attendance if we can. (This may involve a fee).
- It is a condition of receiving this ACE funded training that the online evaluation sent to the email address provided at the point of booking is completed by the specified deadline. This deadline is in the email notification unless a paper evaluation is specifically requested and submitted on the day of the training session.
- By booking a place you agree that you are booking as a representative of your organisation and should you cancel your booking without sufficient notice your organisation is responsible for paying the late cancellation fee of £50.