This practical, hands-on training session introduces participants to the techniques employed when preparing costume to be photographed for documentation or collections promotion/display. Participants will gain knowledge in assessing and condition checking, creating correct historic shapes for temporarily mounting costume to be photographed and methods that can be employed to safely mount a variety of costume types in a studio setting.
By the end of the course, participants will leave with confidence in their ability to:
- Assess and select objects for photography based on their condition.Measure garments and select mannequins if relevant.
- Use conservation grade materials to create temporary mounts for a variety of objects.
- Prepare their own collections for photography, using the techniques learned
- Create a space for photography within their museum.
This training day is for staff and volunteers involved in the care and documentation of collections, specifically historic costume. Basic sewing skills will be an advantage for this practical session, though not essential as full support and training will be given on the day. All necessary materials and hand-outs will be provided
Please arrive after 10 am for a prompt 10.30 start. Refreshments will be provided but please bring your own lunch.
Please see our FAQs for any questions relating to our training programme
Terms & Conditions:
For full details of our programmes conditions, see our Terms & Conditions on our website
By booking a place on to SHARE Museums East Training Programme, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- That you are from an East of England museum which is in Arts Council England’s Museum Accreditation Scheme. Where this is not applicable you acknowledge that SHARE will facilitate your attendance if availability permits and that your organisation will pay any fees which may apply.
- It is a condition of receiving this ACE funded training that the online evaluation sent to the email address provided at the point of booking is completed by the specified deadline. This deadline is in the email notification unless a paper evaluation is specifically requested and submitted on the day of the training session.
- By booking a place you agree that you are booking as a representative of your organisation and should you cancel your booking without sufficient notice your organisation is responsible for paying the late cancellation fee of £50.