More and more people get all of their information online, but museum websites are often tricky to navigate. Find out how to set up a user test for your website and give useful feedback on other people’s. You will leave with a set of questions to interrogate your website and at least one set of user feedback which can be used to make immediate improvements.
This session is being run by Alison Giles of Burwell Museum. By the end of the course, participants will:
- Have created a template for user testing their website
- Have experienced both sides of a user testing session
- Be more confident in creating test questions and using their results
- Have explored ideas for simple changes they could make to their museum sites to make it easier for users to find the information they need
IMPORTANT INFORMATION! Participants must bring a device which they’re happy to use to access the internet using wifi at the venue. If this is not possible please contact SHARE so that we can make sure that there is at least one device available for every two participants.
An outline of the day is detailed below:
- Explanation of user testing and why it is both important and powerful
- Practice creating user questions using SHARE and Burwell Museum sites
- Example user test with volunteer or speaker
- Create user test questions for own organisation’s website
- Work in pairs to user-test one person’s site
- Work in pairs to user test the other person’s site
- Feedback and next steps
This session is suitable for all museum staff and volunteers. It’s helpful if participants have access to and the ability to change their organisation’s website, but the session is also open to those who are collecting evidence to persuade someone else to make changes!
Please arrive after 10am for a 10.30 start, and make yourself known to the member of staff at reception. Refreshments will be provided on arrival but please bring your own lunch.
Please see our FAQs for any questions relating to our training programme
Terms & Conditions:
For full details of our programmes conditions, see our Terms & Conditions on our website
By booking a place on to SHARE Museums East Training Programme, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- That you are from an East of England museum which is in Arts Council England’s Museum Accreditation Scheme. Where this is not applicable you acknowledge that SHARE will facilitate your attendance if availability permits and that your organisation will pay any fees which may apply.
- It is a condition of receiving this ACE funded training that the online evaluation sent to the email address provided at the point of booking is completed by the specified deadline. This deadline is in the email notification unless a paper evaluation is specifically requested and submitted on the day of the training session.
- By booking a place you agree that you are booking as a representative of your organisation and should you cancel your booking without sufficient notice your organisation is responsible for paying the late cancellation fee of £50.