Does your museum
- own any buildings or land or hold any leases or licences?
- employ anyone?
It is important for your trustees’ protection that you have the most advantageous legal status possible for your organisation.
This free workshop is designed to discuss the different types of legal status that a museum can have, and suggests the simplest ways to achieve this. The session will be led by Julie Cole, a management consultant specialising in governance and organisational development.
If after this session your museum wants to move to a different charitable status then SHARE has some funding to help you achieve this.
The workshop will give an overview of Trustee liabilities and the difference that an ‘incorporated’ structure might make, and will discuss the two available options i.e. CIO or Charitable Company Limited by Guarantee. The discussions will help trustees understand which governance model your museum follows and whether your museum would benefit from changing its status and/or its governing model.
The session is suitable for Trustees from museums in Arts Council England’s Accreditation scheme. Trustees from other museums may be allocated places if there is sufficient space.
In the afternoon individual museums can book half hour 1-1 sessions to have more in-depth discussions about their own museums. (These are only for East of England Museums in the Arts Council England’s Accreditation scheme.) To request one of these please email email@example.com.
This event will also be a good opportunity to meet trustees from other museums and discuss other issues over coffee and lunch.
To make the most of the session it is suggested that attendees refresh their understanding of their own museum’s legal status before the day and bring a copy of their constitution document.
We strongly advise that people attend with at least one colleague from their museum (initially we can allocate up to 3 places per museum).
Please arrive after 10.30 for a 10.45 start
10.30 Welcome and Refreshments
10.45 Introduction and overview of the session
10.50 – 12.45
- Refresher on risks trustees are responsible for
- Explore risk migration and how your governing document can help reduce trustee risk
- Explanation of “unincorporated” and “incorporated” organisations
- Introduction to Charitable Incorporated Organisations (CIO) and Charitable Company Limited by Guarantee (CCLG)
- Clarify which membership model your museum follows and consider an alternative
- Introduction to the CIO conversion process
- “How SHARE can support your museum through this process?”
12.45 Lunch – which will be provided
13:15 onwards – pre-booked 1-1 advice slots.
Please see our FAQs for any questions relating to our training programme
Terms & Conditions:
For full details of our programmes conditions, see our Terms & Conditions on our website.
By booking a place on to SHARE Museums East Training Programme, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- That you are from an East of England museum which is in Arts Council England’s Museum Accreditation Scheme. Where this is not applicable you acknowledge that SHARE will facilitate your attendance if availability permits and that your organisation will pay any fees which may apply.
- It is a condition of receiving this ACE funded training that the online evaluation sent to the email address provided at the point of booking is completed by the specified deadline. This deadline is in the email notification unless a paper evaluation is specifically requested and submitted on the day of the training session.
- By booking a place you agree that you are booking as a representative of your organisation and should you cancel your booking without sufficient notice your organisation is responsible for paying the late cancellation fee of £50.