Trainer – Katie Childs (Head of Partnerships and Strategic Relations, Imperial War Museums).
The training is for anyone with direct or indirect responsibility for museum marketing and advocacy.
Whether you’re applying for funding or talking to visitors, you need to be clear about the reasons why your museum matters and be able to communicate them with passion.
Katie leads IWM’s work building relationships with key stakeholders and partners, as well as leading the organisation’s public affairs, national and local partnerships programme and developing international relationships. She joined IWM in April 2017.
Katie previously spent 5 years working for the National Museum Directors’ Council (NMDC). She wrote and developed the advocacy campaign Museums Matter. This provided museums, of all size and scope, with an advocacy message and tools they could adapt for their own use. This training course utilises this and other free resources to help museums create their own positive advocacy message and campaign.
This workshop examines the economic and social impact of regional museums on their local communities, and practical ways of communicating this message to your key stakeholders to secure their continued support.
By the end of the course participants will;
- Know more about ‘Museums Matter’
- Have a better understanding of the social and economic impact of museums and be able to apply these
- to their museum
- Begin to be able to articulate why their own museums matter
- Know some effective ways of communicating their advocacy messages
Terms & Conditions:
For full details of our programmes conditions, click here.
By booking a place on to SHARE Museums East Training Programme, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- That you are from an East of England museum or heritage organisation which is in the Arts Council England’s Accreditation Scheme. Where this is not applicable you acknowledge that so that we can aim to facilitate your attendance if we can. (This may involve a fee).
- It is a condition of receiving this ACE funded training that the online evaluation sent to the email address provided at the point of booking is completed by the specified deadline. This deadline is in the email notification unless a paper evaluation is specifically requested and submitted on the day of the training session.
- By booking a place you agree that you are booking as a representative of your organisation and should you cancel your booking without sufficient notice your organisation is responsible for paying the late cancellation fee of £50.