Please note we can only accept applications from those who can commit to participating in all five sessions.
SHARE is offering five museums in the region a programme of support to recruit some more trustees to your boards. Succession planning for trustees is an important part of good governance and is a developmental need for many museums.
This programme supports museums to consider all elements of good practice in succession planning, including recruiting and retaining trustees, reviewing the skills your board needs for the future, developing and diversifying members of the board and developing a focused and realistic plan for the future.
Facilitated by consultant Heather Lomas, this online programme delivers intensive support to a cohort of 5 museums.
This programme aims to:
• Support museums in developing plans for succession of trustees and boards
• Champion diversity and encourage museums to have a range of people represented on their boards
• Facilitate museums to develop effective plans and procedures for trustee recruitment.
• Provide practical hints and tips to enable effective recruitment of new trustees
• Provide museums with peer group meetings, one to one support, resources and signposting
Who is it for:
This opportunity is open to five Accredited or working towards Accreditation museums in the region.
Each museum should nominate up to three people to be involved, this should include your Chair if possible and other trustees where applicable.
Please note we can only accept applications from those who can commit to participating in all the following sessions:
• Monday 20 June 2022 10.00-12.30
• Wednesday 3 August 2022 10.00-12.30
• Tuesday 13 September 2022 10.00 – 12.30
• Monday 17 October 10.00-12.30
• Tuesday 13 December 2022 10.00 -12.30
Bookings are per person, not per museum, so each participant needs to make their own booking please.
What you will get from this programme:
A plan for your board’s succession planning.
The chance to meet four other museum teams and share ideas, questions, successes and hurdles.
Tips, ideas and encouragement on how to recruit, with feedback from Heather available between sessions with any plans you are making.
The programme is delivered primarily via Zoom with a series of workshops and meetings – there will be plenty of time to chat, discuss the situation at your museum, share your good practice and top tips and to learn from others.
A range of resources and materials will be shared to support the programme and additional email and telephone support is available outside of the meetings.
Each museum team starts the programme with a one-to-one meeting Zoom meeting with Heather Lomas to discuss the museum’s priorities.
There will be five half day workshops/meetings for the cohort. Meetings are themed, but also allow for each museum to update on progress and developments.
- Mon 20 Jun 2022: Introduction to the programme and developing a trustee succession plan.
- Wed 3 Aug 2022: Recruiting new trustees, including, skills audit, role descriptions, advertising, recruitment planning.
- Tues 13 Sep 2022: Recruiting younger people to your board.
- Mon 17 Oct: Developing the team – trustee induction.
- Tues 13 Dec 2022: Overview to share successes/challenges and lessons learned. Mince pies optional.
If you have any further questions, you may find them answered on our FAQs page.
Terms & Conditions:
By booking a place on to SHARE Museums East Training Programme, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- That you are from an East of England museum which is in Arts Council England’s Museum Accreditation Scheme. Where this is not applicable you acknowledge that SHARE will facilitate your attendance if availability permits and that your organisation will pay any fees which may apply.
- It is a condition of receiving this ACE funded training that the online evaluation sent to the email address provided at the point of booking is completed by the specified deadline. This deadline is in the email notification unless a paper evaluation is specifically requested and submitted on the day of the training session.
- By booking a place you agree that you are booking as a representative of your organisation and should you cancel your booking without sufficient notice your organisation is responsible for paying the late cancellation fee of £50.