Trainer: Lindsay Duncan, Outreach Officer (Collections Trust)
This session will introduce the latest version of the Use of collections procedure; a secondary procedure in Spectrum 5.1. This procedure was updated at the end of 2022 to encourage a more inclusive approach.
Using the procedure as the framework for the session, we will discuss: collections access; types of collection use; the information and knowledge that can be created and recorded through use; users and stakeholders; how use of collections can contribute towards more inclusive practice; legal, ethical and other issues that might need consideration for use of collections.
There will opportunities to discuss with colleagues and ask questions throughout, as well as signposting to further guidance.
By the end of the session, delegates will:
- Understand the Spectrum requirements for the Use of collections procedure.
- Understand policy related to Use of collections and collections access.
- Know where to find more information and guidance.
Before the session we ask attendees to:
- Read the Spectrum Use of collections procedure https://collectionstrust.org.uk/spectrum/procedures/use-of-collections-spectrum-5-0/
- Think about your organisation’s approach to use of collections.
- Familiarise yourself with your organisation’s policy relating to collections access. You might also find it useful to have these documents available to refer to during the session.
Who should attend?
Trustees, managers, beginners, volunteers.
More details will be sent out once you have registered for the event.
Please note, tickets are for organisations located in the East of England* and registered within the Arts Council Accreditation Scheme. If your museum is not within these scheme and you wish to attend the training session, please email us first.*Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire (Peterborough), Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk, Suffolk
If you have any further questions, you may find them answered on our FAQs page.
Terms & Conditions:
By booking a place on to SHARE Museums East Training Programme, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- That you are from an East of England museum which is in Arts Council England’s Museum Accreditation Scheme. Where this is not applicable you acknowledge that SHARE will facilitate your attendance if availability permits and that your organisation will pay any fees which may apply.
- It is a condition of receiving this ACE funded training that the online evaluation sent to the email address provided at the point of booking is completed by the specified deadline. This deadline is in the email notification unless a paper evaluation is specifically requested and submitted on the day of the training session.
- By booking a place you agree that you are booking as a representative of your organisation and should you cancel your booking without sufficient notice your organisation is responsible for paying the late cancellation fee of £50.