APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN!
No deadline, rolling programme until midday 22nd March 2021
As part of our 2018-2022 regional Museum Development activity plan, funded by Arts Council England, SHARE Museums East is supporting museums to develop their collections. We want to help museums to improve the representation and diversity of the stories that present, through the collections they have and interpret. We want museums to be able to provide a more accurate, balanced and inclusive interpretation of the past, therefore becoming more relevant and sustainable as a result.
Museums can apply for a grant of up to £2000 towards obtaining a new acquisition. The grant application and guidance is available below.
Examples of activities for which the grant can be used, include:
- Purchase of object/objects to develop permanent collections
- Commissioning of work/works from an artist
- Costs towards working with a community advisory panel to inform new acquisition/s
- valuation costs, framing and display, the conservation and restoration of works, transport and storage costs to support display of new acquisition
New acquisitions must
- Be informed by community consultation.
In addition, acquisitions must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Support the museum to address a lack of representation of a group of people or community in the permanent collections e.g. women, LGBTQ+, BAME, people with disabilities (N.B. this list is not exclusive).
- Help the museum to work towards further development of their collections and the diversity of the communities they represent e.g. stimulate contemporary collecting
- Address the balance of stories and interpretation in permanent displays
If you are unsure if what you are applying for is eligible for a grant, please speak to your MDO or a member of the SHARE team. We are happy to talk it through with you.
Please contact Ruth for further details.