Whether planning to reopen to the public or choosing to remain closed, we want to support museums in the coming months to prepare effectively, develop resilience and maintain community links. Thanks to support from the Art Fund, SHARE Museums East is offering new Recovery Grants to help museums with essential work arising from the Covid-19 crisis that meets these aims.
These grants are available to help museums reopen safely, develop new ways of working, engage with their community, or support the wellbeing of their workforce.
- Recovery Grants are open to museums in the East of England within the ACE Accreditation scheme (including Provisional Accreditation and officially Working Towards).
- Regrettably, we cannot accept applications from ACE National Portfolio Organisations or National Museums.
- Partnerships of museums are eligible provided the majority of partners meet the eligibility criteria.
- Museums which have previously received a SHARE Next Steps Grant in 2020-21 are eligible to apply provided their earlier project is complete, including a submitted evaluation form.
We want to support as many museums as we can, so we ask that you apply for only as much as you need up to a maximum of £4,000.
Examples of activities for which the grant can be used include:
Safe and effective reopening
- Purchase of signage, protective or cleaning materials etc to enable museums to reopen
- Online ticketing software and/or contactless payment / donation equipment
Sustainable and resilient museums
- Consultancy on reviewing / restructuring your business model for new circumstances.
- Volunteer / trustee recruitment campaigns or assistance for them to work from home
Digital activities to increase museums’ reach
- Improvements to digital audience engagement, such as website upgrades, short films or webinars
- Digital infrastructure improvements to support engagement, such as new IT equipment
- Facebook or other social media adverts
Connecting with communities
- Community engagement or co-curation projects
- Audience data research, such as ‘Audience Finder’
- Additional equipment or room hire for working in your community, away from your building
Workforce Health and Wellbeing
- Wellbeing initiatives or programmes for staff and volunteers.
SHARE has two priorities for these grants which you should consider when making your application: (you do not have to address these issues, but it may strengthen your application if you do).
- We are committed to supporting equality and diversity in the museums sector. Projects which seek to improve the representation and engagement with a diverse community, will be prioritised.
- We want to support museums and heritage organisations to improve their environmental responsibility as part of their recovery. Applications which demonstrate an understanding of, and seek to mitigate, environmental impacts of their activity will be prioritised.
Documents and deadlines
Deadline midday 20 August 2021
Please return your application form and supporting documents to the SHARE email Inbox. Please do not post a paper copy; we are unable to access our office or post.
Other useful documents and resources: