TRAINERS: Jamie Everitt, Regional Museum Development Manager, SHARE Museums East and Wayne Kett, Collections Development Assistant, Norfolk Museums Service
Please arrive after 10.00am for a 10.30 start. Refreshments will be provided on arrival but please bring your own lunch.
Are you running out of storage space? Are you looking to re-home duplicate objects or those which don’t meet your collecting policy? This event will explore the process of reviewing and disposing of museum collections from theory to reality. It is suitable for all staff and volunteers planning work in these areas. The session includes a realistic hands-on exercise in which participants get to review a range of rationalisation candidates and decide which should be retained and which disposed.
By the end of the course, participants will:
- learn about the legal and ethical issues surrounding the disposal of museum collections and understand the reasons why it is a carefully controlled process
- feel confident in applying review and disposal processes and in assessing alternatives to disposal
- develop an understanding of the practical issues faced when rationalising collections
- understand the benefits of implementing review and rationalisation of collections as part of a wider collections review.
Information on access at venue – https://www.100bgmus.org.uk/visit-us
If you have an further questions, you may find them answered on our FAQs page.
Terms & Conditions:
For full details of our programmes conditions, see our Terms & Conditions on our website
By booking a place on to SHARE Museums East Training Programme, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- That you are from an East of England museum which is in Arts Council England’s Museum Accreditation Scheme. Where this is not applicable you acknowledge that SHARE will facilitate your attendance if availability permits and that your organisation will pay any fees which may apply.
- It is a condition of receiving this ACE funded training that the online evaluation sent to the email address provided at the point of booking is completed by the specified deadline. This deadline is in the email notification unless a paper evaluation is specifically requested and submitted on the day of the training session.
- By booking a place you agree that you are booking as a representative of your organisation and should you cancel your booking without sufficient notice your organisation is responsible for paying the late cancellation fee of £50.