This practical, back to basics training session introduces participants to best practice standards in packing costume collections for long-term storage. Participants will gain knowledge in assessing and condition checking, choosing the correct packing materials and storage methods for a variety of costume pieces and have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience using the collections at Hitchin.
By the end of the course, participants will leave with confidence in their ability to:
- Assess and condition check costume pieces prior to packing
- Choose the correct storage method for long term storage of costume pieces.
- Using conservation grade materials to pack a selection of garments
- Apply best practice methods of packing to their own costume-based collections
This training day is for staff and volunteers involved in the care and storage of collections, specifically historic costume.
Refreshments will be provided but please bring your own lunch. North Hertfordshire has a cafe onsite.
Please see our FAQs for any questions relating to our training programme
Terms & Conditions:
For full details of our programmes conditions, see our Terms & Conditions on our website
By booking a place on to SHARE Museums East Training Programme, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- That you are from an East of England museum which is in Arts Council England’s Museum Accreditation Scheme. Where this is not applicable you acknowledge that SHARE will facilitate your attendance if availability permits and that your organisation will pay any fees which may apply.
- It is a condition of receiving this ACE funded training that the online evaluation sent to the email address provided at the point of booking is completed by the specified deadline. This deadline is in the email notification unless a paper evaluation is specifically requested and submitted on the day of the training session.
- By booking a place you agree that you are booking as a representative of your organisation and should you cancel your booking without sufficient notice your organisation is responsible for paying the late cancellation fee of £50.