TRAINER: Deborah Walton, UCM Regional Conservation Officer
Please arrive after 10am for a 10.30 start. Refreshments will be provided on arrival but please bring your own lunch
This practical workshop is for anyone who has to handle and/or pack museum objects as part of their work, and those responsible for training or organising others who are handling/packing objects.
By the end of the course participants will:
- understand the reasons for care when handling and packing museum objects
- know how to assess and plan safe handling and packing for different types of objects, including large and heavy items
- have practiced handling and packing techniques
- have explored a range of available materials
- have tried planning a variety of scenarios involving object handling, packing and movement
IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ BEFORE BOOKING:
Handling and packing activities will involve; some standing while working and lifting boxes, tasks requiring manual dexterity and close vision, an organisational exercise with prewritten cards and a PowerPoint presentation. Delegates are advised to wear closed in shoes and fitted clothing (baggy clothes, dangling jewellery and scarves are not appropriate).
Please bring lots of warm clothing as this site can get cold during the winter months!
Access information about the site – https://www.dennyfarmlandmuseum.org.uk/content/visiting-us/84
If you have any further questions, you may find them answered on our FAQs page.
Terms & Conditions:
For full details of our programmes conditions, see our Terms & Conditions on our website
By booking a place on to SHARE Museums East Training Programme, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- That you are from an East of England museum which is in Arts Council England’s Museum Accreditation Scheme. Where this is not applicable you acknowledge that SHARE will facilitate your attendance if availability permits and that your organisation will pay any fees which may apply.
- It is a condition of receiving this ACE funded training that the online evaluation sent to the email address provided at the point of booking is completed by the specified deadline. This deadline is in the email notification unless a paper evaluation is specifically requested and submitted on the day of the training session.
- By booking a place you agree that you are booking as a representative of your organisation and should you cancel your booking without sufficient notice your organisation is responsible for paying the late cancellation fee of £50.